POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible to the Department Director/Manager, and its patients for rendering nursing care in assigned area in terms of individualized patient needs, according to dependent and independent nursing functions and conformance with recognized nursing techniques, procedures and established standards based on scope of practical nursing. Demonstrates nursing knowledge commensurate with licensure scope of practice. Provide patient care services for patients under the direction of the Director of Nursing or shift Registered Nurse.
Responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
- Carry out physician orders accurately, directly and indirectly.
- Issues medications from dispensary and maintains records in accordance with specified procedures.
- Assists with assessments and reassessments as directed by the RN.
- Contributes to development of patient plan of care based on the identified patient problem/needs.
- Takes temperature, pulse, blood pressure and other vital signs to detect deviations from normal and assess patient s condition. Collects specimens from patients.
- Charts all patient activity and statistics. Documents nursing history and physical assessment for assigned patients.
- Assists in the evaluation of the effectiveness of the nursing care administered relative to the patient identified problem/needs.
- Intervenes to restrain violent, potentially violent or suicidal patients by verbal or physical means as required.
- Assist in data collection on the Admission Data Record.
- Administer medication accurately, observing patient response, as evidenced by documentation in the medical record and lack of negative outcomes.
- Reinforce patient information regarding plan of care and discharge plans. (Work collaboratively with other members of health care team in coordination of the patient s care as evidenced by other department feedback.)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCES REQUIRED: Education & Licensure: - Graduate of an accredited school of vocational nursing.
Valid registration as LPN/LVN in the state of employment
- Completion of state approved I.V. Therapy course preferred. (in state of employment)
- Current AHA Healthcare provider training (BCLS).direct care role preferred.
- Additional Requirements:
- Experience: One-year experience in a psychiatric hospital, geriatric unit or residential treatment center in a direct care role preferred.
- Knowledge of implementation of milieu management and therapeutic interaction.
- Ability to work with adult and geriatric populations as demonstrated through educational accomplishment or work experience.
- A working knowledge of JCAHO, ODMH, and patient rights standards, and any other applicable federal and state laws and regulations governing mental health care facilities relating to direct patient care.
- Successful completion of CPR Certification, First Aid and therapeutic restraints.
Associated topics: licensed practical, licensed practical nurse, med, med surg, nurse i, nurse lpn, nurses, pediatrics, practical nurse lpn, vocational nurse